2012-02-12

Trail Run

Venue: Rouge River valley
Terrain: snowy trail, some road, hills, train tracks!
Weather: Sunny and -5 to -10 or so, ankle-deep powder snow

A slightly longer training run for the Giant's Rib Raid, with one of my two teammates, CK. I needed to be in the area for a bike fitting in the afternoon, and he was able to find us this sweet trail system, albeit with a quick jump through the bush in between two northern sections.

I came up with the idea of running on a train bridge to kill three birds with one stone: avoiding two railway crossings and one river crossing, as well as not having to bushwhack. I am nearly paralytically afraid of trains, but I mustered the courage to run across - anything to save time and distance when you're an orienteer, haha.

The terrain was overall flatter than last week and easier on the footing.  Only a few climbs in and our of the river valleys. Although we did have one Raid-worthy 60ft climb up over a cliff in slippery snow. The challenge was that the powder snow had ice underneath, so I was sliding around all over the place. CK had his O-cleats, and I tried to keep up as best as I could. But I felt pretty good. I thought we made good time.

And the park really is beautiful, especially covered in snow. Lots of really nice walkers as well, cheering us on as they made way for us to zip by.

My legs did feel like jello after about 30mins though, and didn't recover until mid-week.

Workout Nutrition: 1 Powergel split in two, and very little of my BCAAs water, as my Camelbak tube froze and I had to hide it in the pack to thaw it out. I survived pretty well without this stuff, but was obviously held back somewhat.

--Distance: 18.6K
--Duration: 2:22

Route Link

No comments:

Post a Comment