2012-02-29

Toronto Triathlon Club Swim Meet

A silly night of racing, pitting our Coach's two swim classes against each other!

Individual races: 200m, 50m, 100m, 50m, 25m

Relays of 50m x 6: this is where our Coach's imagination came into play...
- kicking on your back with your arms extended behind you
- butterfly w/ fins (we thought it would be freestyle with fins!)
- freestyle w/ PFTs (??)
- pulling backwards on an inflated tube and having to give your wet t-shirt to the next person!

I was originally put down just for the "t-shirt relay," but when a second 50m heat came around, I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure exactly how I did, but when I got out I asked my friend CM if I wasn't last - he said, "no." So I asked, "was I not second last?" And he said, "You weren't last. That's what's important." LOL! Point taken.

Then it turned out they were gonna have everyone do the 25m in several heats, and I thought I did quite well in that. I even thought about my form as I was thrashing about.

But my real chance to shine was when our regular freestyle fins relay got turned into a butterfly race! Everyone just looked at each other perplexed, and one of our best racers who was signed up for it was really worried about having to do it, so I said, "I know how to do butterfly!" and switched out with her. I had to learn it when I was about 12 or 13 at swim team, and although it's an incredibly challenging and awkward stroke, I guess I still have the muscle memory. It came back to me really fast after all these 15 years or so, although the fins definitely helped. I had a really smooth first 25m, and the way back was really hard to breathe, but I loved it. And everyone thought I looked like a proper butterflier! Haha. I think I was inspired by one of the other team's captains, who, like, really had a beautiful smooth butterfly, with tons of air. I really wish I could see how I looked!

The last thing I did was the t-shirt / tube relay, which was just as ridiculous as it sounds. My friend CM came up with an efficient wet t-shirt exchange, where you hold the next person's hands, and a third person just pulls the t-shirt off one head and onto the other. Haha. Worked perfectly; I think we won that one.

But after all our races and points, it turns out our two teams tied!

--Distance: 175m + a lot of screaming
--Duration: who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment