2013-01-27

X-Country Skiing

Route Link
A most beautiful day for skiing! Needed the practise for the Stars W.A.R. in a couple of weeks, so booked a technique lesson in addition to free time on the trails.

CB and I started out with a nice warm-up loop of the 12km Sochi loop. It didn't take long to get into the groove, especially since we were finally on groomed tracks, so much easier to try gliding on one foot. I was actually able to lead for a while. We finished loop one just in time for our lesson in 1:24.

The lesson was pretty awesome and worth every penny.

We had some limited time due to another talk I had scheduled from the tri club, so after a carb-loaded lunch we went out on the same intermediate Sochi loop. The poling technique that our instructor showed us did wonders for my efficiency. The shoulder rolling was the easiest part and immediately stabilized me. I realized after a while that I would either dig in with my pole nice and early on an outstretched arm and then finish short, or start short on a relaxed arm but use the strap-pushing motion to finish the push. I had to consciously dig in my pole at the correct time to be able to start far and finish all the way through.\

I'm sure I was more tired on the second time around, but I finished the 12km loop in 1:29, but most importantly, it didn't feel like a fight. I also got better at cornering and downhilling.

Wonderful day!

--Distance: 24.25km
--Duration: 2:53

No comments:

Post a Comment