2012-06-06

Toronto Triathlon Club Swimming

Warm-up: 600m swim / pull

I tried kicking normally during the regular swim lengths, but I found that in order to avoid pain, I was just using my ankles. A friend suggested I just stick to pulling, which is what he does when he's got leg issues. I was really bad at pulling drills because I always felt like I was fishtailing after each pull, so I dreaded having to do the whole workout like that. But I am always up for a challenge!

All pull buoy:
4x 100m, 4th gets faster
7x 100m, hold the pace
4x 100m, even faster pace

Coach was away, so the instructions were a bit slim, and no rest breaks were indicated. I decided to pick a swimming time and a constant rest time between each set: 30secs.

First 3x 100m were on a leisurely 2:30, and I needed that because I had to get used to proper strokes with the pull buoy. For the 4th, I dropped to 2:20, still with the 30secs break.

For the long middle set, I tried holding the 2:20, but I guess I got better at pulling straight and strong, and I kept finishing 2:10-2:15, even with trying to slow myself down. So with the last two to go, I just decided to officially drop down to 2:10. That's when I could feel myself working.

That meant that the last 4 would be on 2:00, and that was perfectly intense. I really pulled my little heart out. But nailed all sets, and even came in slightly under time.

4x 50m on 100m pace (assigned was 10x)
Held the 1:00 50s, with 15secs break

50m easy pull

At the end, the silver lining of my achy hip was that I really brought up my pull buoy technique and had a strong upper-body workout instead.

--Distance: 2,350m
--Duration: 75mins

No comments:

Post a Comment