2012-06-16

Open Water Swim

Shuffled over to Cherry Beach ahead of my orienteering "race" later in the morning, and I arrived just as my Coach's open water group was finishing up their workout. I didn't think she'd be hosting these on account of her injury, but apparently her mornings are better than her evenings. I have to say I've really missed her yelling at us, and at least got to live vicariously for a few minutes through the poor guys chasing the buoys out there, haha. Coach is holding up okay, but really is sidelined waiting for yet another surgery...

The buoy run is 250m this year. Did a warm-up there-and-back but felt like it was really hard to breathe in the wetsuit. I was sure this would pass, but on the next lap it was exactly the same. I kept taking long breaks at either end to catch my breath. The water here is very shallow, but I was so nervous the entire time. On the way back the third time, I was nearly panicking, and actually decided to bail towards the lifeguard house. Then I regrouped and swam back to the buoy line and finished. But it felt like my chest was in a vice.

I decided to call it quits after the three laps, but I tried a corkscrew turn around the buoy that my temporary coach had suggested. I think I need to look at the video again, haha.

And finally it was time for:
Wetsuit Time Trial: 2:00 to get it off. 2 whole minutes. The height of incompetence. I did forget to lube-up with Body Glide, but still.

--Distance: ~1,600m
--Duration: ~40mins

No comments:

Post a Comment