2012-06-30

Spartan Beast

The several waves in this race got condensed into only two at the last minute, and they were to start at high noon and 12:30 to make things worse. It was already above 30deg by the time we arrived a couple of hours early to deliver CK, who was volunteering before running the race himself. On the way into the park, we got warmly greeted by another volunteer, grinning from ear to ear, very pleased with herself to let us know that we'd be going up the mountain no fewer than four times. I pre-wetted my bandana, filled up my water pack, stashed 4 gels and 12 salt pills and waited.

Aside from our usual crew, there was also ST, who was graciously hosting us all weekend, and a bunch of MK's friends and friends of friends from the Spartan Death Race. An awesome group of people all-around. We also made friends with our parking lot neighbours, where we got our first sense that many of the people present were not quite prepared for the gruelling task ahead...

I did my usual dynamic warm-ups before the start, letting ES and MK head to the front as usual. ES had been complaining of a hamstring injury, and I had tried to coach her on my nearly-patented strategy of "how not to race." In the end, she would have to listen to her body and decide what to do out there. Hint: her decision was really good!

---(race report in progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment