2012-06-17

Hills of Caledon Bike Ride

Got up even later than usual, but happy to tackle the hilly roads of Caledon again, after I really struggled here in December when I first got the bike. Since I had already recced this area then, I didn't give myself a fixed route - just thought I'd choose to ride on different roads based on conditions and timing. Just needed to get back to the homestead for the day's Euro matches, hee hee.

Started out on Duffy's Lane again and climbed the substantial rollies up to Old Church Road. This road is well-traversed as it links to Caledon East, but it's a dream to bike on. Fresh asphalt and a wide clean shoulder; totally safe. Took it all the way into town and turned around at Airport.

Route Link
For extra mileage, I turned down Innis Lake, which was more deep rollies, then a quick jump across Castlederg, which looked rough after the next road, so went back up Centreville Creek to Old Church. That road has zero traffic and some great downhills!

I liked this lap, so decided to repeat it, and was faster. Actually my 5km lap times went down each time over the whole ride, yay! Finally came back up to Old Church and took it back to Duffy's and down to the car. I enjoyed the ride more and more as I went along, especially after I broke through the first 20km or so. I think I hit about 45kph as my top speed several times, and usually it was from slight downhills going into uphills!

--Distance: 40km
--Duration: 1:29:00
--Average Speed: 27.0kph
--Max Speed: ~45kph

(Thank goodness I remembered these numbers, as El Satellite Dish is now drowned in pool water.)

No comments:

Post a Comment