2012-10-13

Fall Bicycle Blow-out

I was deputized by my biking friend ML to buy him a trainer at the Fall Bike Show, and as a veteran of two bike shows, including the maddening blow-out last year, I felt totally up to the task. I knew I'd have to show up about 90mins early to wait at the front of the extremely long line to be able to run in at 10am and do a whirlwind survey of available equipment before the crowd rushed in. I spent that time researching the stuff I would want to buy too.

I did a great job assessing the scene and reporting to ML over email - but all the trainers were way more expensive this year than last year - some blowout! He eventually decided that it was all no good. He also wanted a powertap hub, but the Fall Show is not really the sort of place for fancy gear - it looks less like a pro expo and more like a junk yard sale! So onward to my own needs.

My priority #1 was a pair of winter riding pants - good luck finding that at the show where most stores try to sell off only their ugliest summer garments. I nearly bought just a pair of fairly lightly insulated leg warmers, but glad I didn't.

I also wanted more hydration - either the rear mounted saddle cage (which I don't actually want to use) or what my tri club buddy NN uses, the Speedfil aero bottle with feeder straws that come up to the handlebars. It's a similar hands-free solution to the ProfileDesign Aerodrink I currently have, but would offer even more liquid - 1.2L. But the bike shows aren't very triathlete-friendly either, so no go on that.

A few other items on my list were: an actual bike jersey, as I had always been turned off by their sheer ugliness and could never settle on one; a presta bike pump; maybe a multi-tool? I ended up thinking this was too much of a zoo to really choose the right thing.

But at the last second, I finally found one rack with really great winter gear! They had a very well-made women's bib from Bicycle Line that fit me perfectly and was really nicely insulated, especially in the knees, but was also well ventilated in the back. A quick consultation with a friend, and I took it. That alone made the trip worth it. It would take me through tomorrow's Rogaine very comfortably.

And as the last thing, I bought my roomie a birthday present: a bike maintenance stand. It was very nice and on a great sale as well. And I'll get to use it, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment