2012-04-27

Chiropractic Treatment

Finally got a diagnosis for my achy butt. It's not the hamstring; it's not any of the glute muscles or piriformis. It's actually bursitis - an inflamed bursa, which is a little lubricating sack of fluid that sits between bone and muscle to make sure everything moves smoothly. I feel it through my glutes, but then it radiates down to my upper hamstring.

I've resigned myself to rest. Missing the Rattlesnake Point race and the SOF Chase. Trying not to act devastated. But it's for the best, or I won't be racing at all this season.

One treatment that can aid in healing is electrical stimulation. They attach flat pads to the skin with electrodes running to the machine. A light current vibrates over the pads, sometimes making the muscles tingle, sometimes even spasm. It's supposed to dampen the nerves that are sending pain signals, which somehow induces the healing process.

So far, it caused me to walk funny for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment