2012-05-16

Toronto Triathlon Club Swimming

A mentally challenging set tonight, again without our Coach. Had to make it up on my own.
Every person had a lane to themselves, because most of the class took an early long weekend, hehe.

Warm-up: 100m swim / 100m kick / 100m swim / 100m kick

400m / 300m / 200m / 100m
- getting faster on each set
- 30secs break in between each

I didn't know what to pick for the 400 without our Coach, so I tried 2:30/100m, but quickly settled into 2:20s. Had to look up at the clock after each 50m (sighting practise!) Did the whole thing perfectly, and continued down to 2:15 / 2:10 / 2:05 for the remaining sets - all to the second! I couldn't believe how finely-tuned I'd gotten on modulating my pace and then holding it. I just kept coming back to the wall and yelling, "yessss!"

Then it was the reverse, with pull buoys and paddles - much more difficult for me technically. But I ended up focusing on my entries and on catching, as well as on lengthening and gliding a bit to make the pull smoother.
100m / 200m / 300m / 400m
- still getting faster on each set!
- 30secs break in between each

I randomly decided on 2:25 for the first 100m. Nailed it and continued on with 2:20 / 2:15 / 2:10. It was ambitious, but I know that I only improve as the km's go by, so I got confident that I could pull this off. I did the 200 and 300 perfectly, it was amazing! About halfway through the 400, I dropped a few secs/50, but I still felt great, so I forced myself to start catching up. Once I finished the last 50, I had nailed my overall goal time to the second.

Followed it up with 2x 50m on 1:10 (2 of the 10 sets assigned in the time I had left). I really wanted to do more sprints at that point, as I felt fantastic, but it was time to vacate the pool.

This ranks as one of my most successful swim nights ever. I had to settle on goal times all by myself and then hold them for the varied distances and modulate them between each set. I was like a programmed robot, haha. I just did it. And I loved it.

--Distance: 2,500m
--Duration: 70mins

No comments:

Post a Comment