2012-05-07

Toronto Triathlon Club Swimming

Transition clinic night!

Apparently we were to bring a t-shirt and a pair of running shoes, but since I was at orienteering last week, I didn't get that memo. A friend from the previous class offered me his oversized cotton t-shirt and clearly soaking running shoes, as well as the insider information that we would have to swim in both.

The pool had no lane ropes, some of the purpose of which seems to be to calm the water quite a bit; consequently, it felt a lot more like an open water swim, and I kept getting hit with waves every time I tried to breathe - cool! Warmed up about 300m.

I asked Coach to check my stoke again, and apparently I'm no longer crossing the body. Finally! But I do need to work on catching the water and on keeping my elbows more bent during the pull.

Part One:
Swim 10x around the pool, then jump out and 30secs to pull on your shoes and t-shirt and jump back in. Let's say it's 75m around, so 750m continuous. Only got lapped by "Speedy" and "Wingspan" three times. :) I was actually pretty aggressive on overtaking people, and I know I'm gonna enjoy going back out to the punch-and-kick world of open-water racing.

Part Two:
Got my gear on and jumped back in for another 10x 75m, but this was at a fraction of the speed, and I got passed by a lot of people. The running shoes actually make you much more buoyant, but they're heavy too! I got though 9x 75m, or 675m, before I got pulled.

Part Three:
Set up your shoes and t-shirt at the edge of the pool and sprint width-wise and back to put them on.
1:00 / 0:55 / 0:50 / 0:45 / 0:40 / 0:35 ... the fastest guy got down to 0:25!
I tried doing underwater dolphin kick on my flip turns today, but it seemed to slow me down - must be user error. I won't be using the particular transition skills in real life, but it's great to practice calming yourself down to do all the little things diligently.

Cool-down: 100m?

--Distance: ~1,825m
--Duration: 75mins

No comments:

Post a Comment