2012-07-02

Open Water Swim

With legs wrecked from the Beast, and all of us walking like Cotton Hill, I pitched a relaxing OWS in Mooney's Bay, the site of Ottawa's Iron-distance triathlon taking place in September.


The beach is pretty wide, with a line of buoys about 320m long. The water is quite murky, but it's nice soft sand and basically no weeds (except a floating one that attacked me halfway through!) It was really warm, so I did not bother to cram myself into my wetsuit.

I swam once each way, although I was quite out of breath after the first length and wanted to just walk back, LOL. Seemed longer than it was! Practised some sighting too, but wasn't really on. I did manage to hold the new stroke most of the time though.

In the meantime, my friend CK was giving stroke tips to ES, and I think totally wore her out - but she looked really smooth in the water by the time I got back to their end. For me, he just mentioned that I roll more when I breathe than otherwise, which I can definitely tell too.

Took a few snapshots of the beach and in the direction towards the race transition area for a friend racing here in a couple of months. Unfortunately the website does not provide an outline of the swim course, so couldn't take photos of the sighting lines.

It was great to jump in the cool water before embarking on the long, traffic-heavy trek back to Toronto, and our stiff muscles needed the recovery too.

--Distance: ~640m
--Duration: I dunno...

No comments:

Post a Comment