2012-07-07

Open Water Swim + Bike Transition Skills

I'd been mildly feverish for days, and finally succumbed to a cold, but the Huronia Sprint Triathlon was ahead, so having rested all week, I went out to Cherry beach at the end of the day to get in a short swim and practise my mount/dismount skills.

The water was warm, and because I didn't anticipate using my wetsuit at the sprint, I didn't bother practising in it either. Just swam once there-and-back along the buoys, partly to cool down my fever! About 650m total. Felt pretty good. Only screwed up sighting once.

Then went out onto the Martin Goodman Trail to practise the shoeless skills. The trail from Cherry winds a lot, so I just used it as a warm-up and ended up doing the skills out on Unwin closer to Leslie. I was really jittery. Probably a combination of being out of practise and sluggish from my cold. I kept riding back and forth and not wanting to dismount! Eventually I did, and it was pretty smooth. Mounted and dismounted a bunch of times, but was really worried about doing it during the race. I told myself I'd make the call at the race site.

Got some elastics, but not sure if they're flimsy enough to break...

No comments:

Post a Comment